The mission of the Chief Technology Officer (CTO) is to establish, execute, adapt, and evolve the company’s Technology Roadmap to keep Liquid Robotics at the forefront of the growing unmanned maritime market. The CTO will do this while also providing organizational, process, and technical leadership in conjunction with the Engineering functional leadership team. The CTO will also own the product/solution quality, development schedule and engineering team’s performance.
The overall task is to work closely with cross-functional management in evolving Liquid Robotics’ technology, product direction, people, technology/architecture and to manage product and solution development. Success will be measured by quality of products/solutions, consistent and on time/on budget program/project releases and the overall evolution and quality of Liquid Robotics’ technical team.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to: serve as chief solution/system architect for Liquid Robotics platforms, products and solutions, performing market and competition assessments to identify, influence and shape product and solution roadmaps, coordinating/collaborating with overarching Boeing Technology projects and coordinating Engineering resources across: IRAD, Sustainment, Customer Support, and Capture/Proposal Support. The CTO will develop and maintain relationships with technology partners, customers, stakeholders, and peers. The CTO will provide an independent assessment of technical solutions and associated artifacts for programs/projects. The successful CTO will also provide inputs/ideas/innovations on business and technical strategies, goals and objectives. The position will report to the Chief Executive Officer. It will also take direction from the Chief Engineer of Maritime Undersea (Boeing parent organization).
Experience and established relationships with key unmanned maritime technologies, solutions and/or customer organizations is critical for this role. Subject matter expertise in maritime domain solution using technologies such as acoustics, radio frequency, autonomy, etc. is a must. This is a remote/home office position with a requirement for frequent face to face interactions with staff, executives and customers in Herndon, VA and Kawaihae, HI to ensure alignment with company goals and tight coupling between the Engineering team and other functions. With a distributed and remote Engineering team a successful candidate will be able to establish, maintain and evolve policies, procedures and facilities that enable successful and efficient execution of Engineering projects/programs.
- Serve as technical capture team lead on complex Wave Glider based solutions; providing proposal content that has strong value propositions, detailed technical justifications, and accurate basis of estimates (cost and schedule).
- Externally Drive technology innovation and leadership in the broad maritime market- through authoring white papers for advanced concepts, engaging with key R&D stakeholders and presenting at public forums.
- Internally provide technological thought leadership and innovation as well as foster an environment that encourages the broader Engineering to organically bring forward new technologies and ideas for innovation.
- Drive the entire product engineering lifecycle: specifications, design, development, testing and sustaining.
- Deliver against short and long term milestones with reliability and consistency and establish balance between the challenging relationship of quality and schedule.
- Participate in technical decision making and take a hands-on approach to understanding technical and architectural issues when necessary.
- Maintain a product and solution roadmap and development schedule that can be shared with customers and partners alike.
- Identify and maintain strategic technology partners to complement the Company’s technology roadmap and keep investments focused on growing core competencies.
- Continue to recruit top tier engineering talent, grow the team and organizational structure while keeping it aligned with overall company objectives.
- Mentor, motivate and earn the respect of the team. Build project management and personal management skills of team members.
- Take the processes that are working well and build them to the next level of evolution. Identify the process that are not working well/broken and establish new ones to improve effectiveness of the team/company.
- Manage and enforce engineering quality processes for products and programs for hardware and software designs and test programs as well as generation and maintenance of all requisite engineering documentation.
- Establish a strong engineering culture, excellent technology, high quality implementations and foster effective communications in and among the organization. Achieve quick and constructive resolutions of conflict and set standards for quality, testing and documentation.
- Create, manage, and execute IRAD, developmental and sustainment project budgets and schedules.
- Actively manage Company intellectual property filings for existing and new patents for the Wave Glider and associated technologies.
- As a senior member of the leadership team, exercise executive discretion and authority across the company, providing positive leadership that reaches beyond Engineering and provide input to the company’s evolving business planning activities.
Skills / Qualifications
- 12 years in maritime technology and solution development (including hands-on engineering roles), at least 5-7+ years in engineering management. Must have built/led teams of 30+. Experience with unmanned maritime vehicles/systems a plus.
- 5+ years of Hardware/Software, Systems, Low Power, Hardened Electronics, or other relevant domain experience with a consistent, successful track record of releasing systems into the marketplace with rapid release deadlines. Experience with US Department of Defense (DoD) development programs a plus.
- Experience with maritime sensor integrations, solution development, and mission/CONOPs development/planning. Experience with acoustic, EO/IR and/or RF systems is a plus.
- Experience with US DoD acquisition programs is a plus.
- Experience managing the development of enterprise class systems, product or platforms intended to be extended throughout the life-cycle of the product by other companies or developers.
- Well demonstrated and validated leadership abilities. Technically credible with a proven ability to grasp new concepts and disciplines quickly.
- Startup leadership experience. Leads by example and gets hands on as necessary.
- Demonstrated ability to design to cost, scheduling, planning and a strong orientation toward reliable and quality deliverables; knows the scope of test required to harden a commercial grade product for customer shipment.
- A track record for building and managing strong engineering teams characterized by high productivity, excellent morale and low turnover in complex, rapidly evolving environments.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Science required, MS or PHD preferred.
- Experience with developing and managing marine/ocean technologies is required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including technical proposals and presentations.
- Teamwork attitude, a cooperative style and the ability to provide leadership and mentoring.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced and dynamic growth environment where initiative and flexibility are required for success.
- Proven success in identifying and applying advanced technology and capabilities, particularly in the fields of unmanned ocean systems, to meet customer needs.
- Ability to operate efficiently and positively within an occasionally high-stress environment, upholding company values, ethics, and culture throughout.
- Self-motivated, pro-active, with confidence and initiative for innovation.
- Must be able to secure and hold a US security clearance.
Liquid Robotics designs and manufactures Wave Gliders®, the world’s first wave and solar powered autonomous ocean robots. With partners, they address challenges facing defense, Oil & Gas, commercial and science customers by making ocean data collections and communications easier safer and in real-time. Liquid Robotics was acquired by Boeing in December of 2016 and operates as an independent non-integrated subsidiary.
For more info, please visit www.liquid-robotics.com
Liquid Robotics is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.