It’s said that at any given time, Bishop Museum has 25,000,000 stories waiting to be told. We’re searching for a teammate passionate about the history, culture, art, and science of Hawaii and the Pacific, to help share these stories with our global audience.
Join the Bishop Museum Ohana as our Digital Communications Coordinator in the Institutional Advancement department. The Digital Communications Coordinator supports key digital communications activities for the Museum including content management; content creation; social media; email marketing; and cross-platform analytics.
This position is an integral member of our communications and marketing team, and collaborates within and across the Museum’s cultural, scientific, operational, and administrative departments to fulfill organizational goals and milestones. Specifically, the Digital Communications Coordinator works to increase web traffic; social media audience engagement and growth; and email lead generation.
This individual keeps abreast of trends and implements compelling digital communications initiatives, with creative and targeted content, to diverse audiences – from the native Hawaiian practitioner on Hawaii Island, to the natural sciences researcher in Europe, to the visiting traveler from Japan, to the family of four in Honolulu planning their Spring Break activities. Together with the Director of Communications, this individual coordinates and supports the digital presence of the Museum’s exhibits, programs, services, and campaigns.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for serving the Museum’s many stakeholders; the energy to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment; the initiative and creativity to explore new ways to engage the Museum’s diverse audiences; and the commitment to helping preserve our island homes’ history, culture, and environment. Optimally, the candidate will have some work experience/background in online communications and/or public relations; enjoy writing; and have a working knowledge of design, photography, and videography / video editing.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Assist with managing the Museum’s planning, scheduling, and production calendars for its various channels.
• Produce content, including copy, photography, infographics, and video.
• Assist with covering Museum events for broadcast on our various channels. This would involve some off-hours and weekend/holiday work.
• Assist with project management of communications and marketing-related design, photography, and video projects with both internal teams and external partners.
• Contribute to the development of thoughtful and engaging content strategy.
• Ensure that the Museum’s social media channels remain responsive, collaborative, innovative, and engaging.
• Stay informed on emerging online communications tools, social media trends, and overall best practices.
• Execute on the social media strategic plan and oversee the Museum’s presence on all social media platforms (Including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and YouTube) by responding to comments and messages and engaging with fans and followers, as well as partner organizations and entities.
• Write copy and schedule social media posts.
• Create and implement strategies to increase the number of fans/followers and to increase audience engagement on social media platforms.
• As needed, evaluate efforts and advise when social channels should be retired and/or when new channels should be explored.
• Coordinate, build, edit, and distribute outbound email campaigns to support Museum programs and initiatives, including weekly newsletters, advocacy alerts, event promotions, and automated/triggered messages.
• Create and implement lead generation strategies to increase our subscriber base.
• Support routine maintenance and cleanup of email list.
• Track and provide reports and analytics on social and email conversion metrics.
• Coordinate annual and other regular reporting on digital communications and marketing metrics for external stakeholders.
• Contribute to the preparation of regular and campaign-specific reports on social, email, and other digital communications performance to relevant staff.
Additional duties as assigned to advance the Museum’s mission.
• Familiarity with Hawaiian and Pacific culture, history, natural sciences, and environment
• Bachelor’s Degree required
• Minimum one year experience in online communications, public relations, and/or online marketing
• Strong communication and writing skills
• Demonstrated ability to collaborate with internal and external partners on multiple intricate, detailed, and time-sensitive projects
• Demonstrated experience managing large, diverse online communities and global audiences, with the ability to diffuse potential hot-button issues
• Experience with social media and email management platforms and tools
• Proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite of programs
• Basic knowledge of design and familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite and/or related tools
• Experience with videography, photography, and copywriting for online channels
• Familiarity and experience with video editing tools
• As noted above, the ideal candidate will have a passion for serving the Museum’s many stakeholders; the energy to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment; the initiative and creativity to explore new ways to engage the Museum’s diverse audiences; and the commitment to helping preserve our island homes’ history, culture, natural sciences, and environment
• The Digital Communications Coordinator will share social media management duties which include after-hours monitoring and responding on all channels. During emergency situations, this position will require extended shifts to assist with any and all Museum communications duties as needed
• Flexibility in day to day working hours, as some evening and weekend work is required
• Must have own car with proof of insurance and valid Hawai‘i Driver’s License
• Professional, business-like appearance
• Good attendance
• Experience creating and working with processes and systems a plus
To apply for this job please visit www.hrsymphony.com.