We recognize our competitive advantage — our people. We believe in our people, who share our vision of meeting the needs of our employees, customers, and communities and who carry out the continued success of the company.
Our employees are committed to the company’s foundational values: integrity, excellence, teamwork, environmental stewardship, and community commitment. In turn, we invest in our employees, providing opportunities for challenge and advancement and offering a competitive compensation package.
BRIEF POSTING DESCRIPTION:
The Digital Communications Division at Hawaiian Electric Company has one (1) Management vacancy available. (Role: Professional)
Helps Company prepare for and manage issues through communications planning for Social Media channels. Develops clear, concise and credible communications vital to the Company’s ongoing relationships with its employees, customers, legislators, regulators and other audiences through Social Media channels. Serves as an important communications link between Senior Management and all other Company employees as well as customers.
- Manages, maintains and performs Social Media activities which includes:
- Developing and implementing strategic plan to grow social media audience for key demographics
- Strengthening the brand and engaging our community in Social Media by producing creative and compelling content for all Social Media accounts.
- Writing clear, compelling communications through Social Media channels, such as but not limited to Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
- Organizing or supporting community relations events and activities, including coordination of promotional efforts through Social Media for such initiatives.
- Developing and implementing Disaster Preparedness and Outage Communications Plan through Social Media.
- Maintaining consistent company voice and brand through Social Media channels.
- Monitoring Social Media accounts 24/7 and adhering to the Service Level Agreements (SLAs) agreed upon.
- Creating and maintaining process documentation for Social Media
- Providing guidance and expertise to Human Resources and additional internal customers that may have been granted access to use Social Media channels for their business needs, such as LinkedIn for recruiting purposes.
- Updates and maintains content for designated sections on Company website(s). Serves as backup to Online Communications Administrator when necessary.
- Works with internal departments to research and develop key issue communications for Social Media. Responds to any customer issue that comes through Social Media channels. Available to handle crisis situations through Social Media.
- Monitors and prepares reports to update internal staff on Social Media usage statistics and metrics. Prepares updates on Social Media progress and advancements for senior management and internal employees.
- Researches and implements new Social Media technology as necessary. Attends Social Media related events to manage relationships and build community support for efforts through this channel.
- Provides a full range of internal and external communications and consultative service related to Social Media to departments, HEI and its affiliate companies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Working knowledge in communications, journalism and/or public relations.
- Technical knowledge in online communications/information dissemination techniques.
- Working knowledge of issues facing Company and industry.
- Technical knowledge of print and online production, including layout and design principles and techniques.
- Technical knowledge of communications technology, including computers and related software applications. Working knowledge of web design and desktop publishing applications.
- Working knowledge of Company operations; Working understanding of utility industry operations; Basic familiarity with varying communities the Company serves.
- Basic knowledge of local news media structures.
- Basic knowledge of federal, state, economic, business and political climates.
- Basic knowledge of and ability to apply good photographic techniques.
- Excellent oral, facilitation and presentation skills, including ability to think on one’s feet and respond to media and customer inquiries in clear, credible and concise terms.
- Excellent writing skills. Ability to write in a clear, concise and interesting manner.
- Ability to conceptualize new ideas quickly.
- Ability to translate complex issues into terms understandable by a broad range of audiences.
- Ability to remain flexible in a demanding work environment and adapt to rapidly changing priorities.
- Analytical and conceptual skills to assess issues, to recommend proper actions and to coordinate/follow through on implementation of details.
- Demonstrates strong initiative and ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Strong organizational and project management skills to handle many concurrent projects and programs.
- Ability to work well with people at all levels and from diverse departments in the company. Ability to work collaboratively as a member of a team.
- Ability to handle difficult and/or sensitive issues while using tact, courtesy and discretion.
- Ability to act as a liaison between Senior Management and other employees in the Company.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing or 5-7 years equivalent experience in related field.
- Experience working with various Social Media platforms required.
- Experience with HTML and web page development highly desirable.
- Multiple (5+) years of related business experience, preferably in marketing, corporate communications, public relations or as a professional journalist, with an emphasis on experience in writing and issues analysis and management, including management of issues in politically sensitive environments or complex organizations.
Number of Vacancies: 1
Work Schedule: Monday – Friday
Work Hours: 7:00 am – 3:30 pm
Lunch: 30 Minutes
Location: ASB Tower – Oahu
About Hawaiian Electric Companies
Hawaiian Electric Companies provide electricity and services to 95 percent of the state’s 1.4 million residents. The company is also one of the state’s leading employers and a major contributor and supporter of community and educational programs.
The demand for power that has fueled the growth of the Hawaiian Islands has been met by Hawaiian Electric Companies for well over a century. And as the next millennium unfolds, the company is committed to providing quality service and seeking clean local energy sources to power generations of Hawaii families and businesses to come. Visit us at http://hawaiianelectric.com.
Interested individuals should apply online. The application must clearly indicate the demonstrated experience/knowledge/skills/abilities the candidate possesses which specifically qualifies him/her for the position.
Should there be no candidates with this experience, the company may consider applicants without such experience who meet the knowledge/skill requirements. If such a candidate is hired, he or she will initially be placed on a development plan commensurate with his/her education and experience level.
By submitting an application for the position, candidates:
1. Authorize the Hawaiian Electric Companies to confirm all statements contained in the application and/or any materials submitted and made a part of the application as they relate to the position and to the extent permitted by law;
2. Authorize and consent to, without reservation, the Hawaiian Electric Companies sharing any and all information regarding previous or present employment, educational training or personal information from their records and from any other source with the hiring department or subsidiary company;
3. Release, discharge, and hold harmless, Hawaiian Electric Companies, from any and all liability for any damage which may be claimed as a result of furnishing such information to the hiring department or subsidiary company;
4. Authorizes release and transfer of all personnel records to be maintained by the hiring company in the event of an inter-company transfer; and
5. Authorize, direct, and consent to Hawaiian Electric Companies and/or its authorized agents to conduct investigations into candidates’ background. These investigations may include, but are not limited to searches for information about applicants; record of criminal convictions to the extent permitted by law, education records, professional certifications, personal character references, and employment history.
Hawaiian Electric Companies is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer. We actively seek diversity among our employees. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity/expression), ancestry/national origin, disability, marital status, arrest and court record, sexual orientation, pregnancy, veteran status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, or other protected categories in accordance with state and federal laws. We further encourage individuals with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply.
Hawaiian Electric Companies complies with Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Any request for reasonable accommodation needed during the application process should be communicated by the candidate to the HR Service Center at (808) 543-4848.
Hawaiian Electric Company, Inc., Maui Electric Company, and Hawaii Electric Light (“Company”) are Hawaii Public Utilities Commission (“PUC”) regulated companies. The disclosure relating to Affiliate Transaction Requirements that follows is made pursuant to the PUC’s Decision and Order No. 35962, issued on December 19, 2018, and subsequently modified by Order No. 36112, issued on January 24, 2019 in Docket No. 2018-0065.
By submitting your application, you understand and acknowledge that, if you are hired by the Company and subsequently transferred, assigned or otherwise employed by an Affiliate, said Affiliate will be required to make a one-time payment to the Company in an amount equivalent to twenty-five percent (25%) of your base annual compensation.
In addition, if you are hired by the Company and subsequently transferred, assigned or otherwise employed by an Affiliate or an Affiliate-Related Entity, for a period of one year, you cannot appear in negotiations or otherwise interact directly with the Company or work on the same matter that you worked on while with the Company.
Affiliate is defined as “any person or entity that possesses an ‘affiliate interest’ in a utility as defined by section 269-19.5, Hawaii Revised Statutes (“HRS”), including a utility’s parent holding company, except as otherwise provided by HRS section 269-19.5(h).”
Affiliate-Related Entity is defined as “a third party that provides electricity-related services in a regulated utility’s service territory that has a material financial, operational, or ownership interest with an unregulated affiliate of the utility and of whom the utility has reasonable knowledge.”
For a current list of all Affiliates and Affiliate-Related Entities, please see:
This list may be amended, updated or revised from time to time without notice.
To apply for this job please visit career4.successfactors.com.