Title: Information Technology (IT Specialist)
Position Number: 79542T
Hiring Unit: Office of the Vice President for Community Colleges/Academic Affairs
Date Posted: February 05, 2021
Closing Date: February 23, 2021
Salary : salary schedules and placement information
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Temporary/Permanent: Temporary – Not to Exceed: September 30, 2021
Other Conditions: Temporary position not to exceed 9/30/21. Possibility of extension contingent upon availability of funds.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop, integrate, customize, and support UH Community Colleges (UHCC) web and technical applications.
- Provide software development support, analyze requirements, develop technical specifications, and resolve any operational problems related to the maintenance of information systems.
- Develops software involving complex data exchange among multiple programs and/or requiring sophisticated program logic; modify existing tools and packages as needed; develops reusable software modules; develops software test procedures.
- Confers regularly with content specialists and administrators to ensure that the user experience is positive across all touch points. Works closely with system administrators on back-end connectivity/functionality.
- Analyze project specific requirements; ensure projects are planned, programmed, tested, and implemented by project deadlines.
- Evaluate progress during project stages; work directly with departments and offices in implementing and testing the baseline, assessing and making necessary programming modifications, and maintaining and enhancing program functions and features.
- Provide technical support in a timely manner; identifies the cause(s), researches, assesses, solves and takes action to prevent programming and/or system problems from recurring.
- Maintain data accuracy, troubleshoot complex data problems which include but are not limited to programming, formatting, coding structures, data input/quality and data element definitions.
- Monitors and tracks software versions, fixes, and vendor announcements.
- Provide project implementation and post-implementation support for Office of the Vice President for Community Colleges.
- Serves as technical resource to non-technical administrators, staff, and other IT professionals.
- Keep abreast of advances in information technology and assess the feasibility of incorporating into project plans and specifications.
- Ensure website and content is in compliance with UH web standards and the American with Disabilities Act.
- Develop queries to extract data from a relational database; summarize and format data for use in web applications, visualization tools, and for reporting.
- Assist with ad-hoc reports and custom views on an as needed basis.
- Other duties as assigned
- Possession of a pertinent baccalaureate educational degree in Information & Computer Sciences (ICS) or related field and 3 years of progressively responsible professional information technology experience with responsibilities for website management/development, of which 2 years of the experience must have been comparable in scope and complexity to the next lower payband in the University of Hawai’i broadband system; or equivalent education/training or experience.
- Considerable working knowledge of applications development as demonstrated by the broad knowledge and understanding of the full range of pertinent standard and evolving information technology concepts, principles and methodology.
- Considerable working knowledge and understanding of the broad technology, systems, hardware and software associated with coding practices necessary for developing web-based applications and websites; prototyping and iterative development techniques; and systems development methodology and techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize a wide range of intricate problems, use reasoning and logic to determine accurate causes, and apply principles and practices to determine, evaluation, integrate, and implement practical and thorough solutions in an effective and timely manner.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and present information and ideas clearly and accurately in writing, verbally and by preparation of reports and other materials.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external organizations, groups, team leaders and members, and individuals.
- For supervisory work, demonstrated ability to lead subordinates, manage work priorities and projects, and manage employee relations.
- Any equivalent combination of education and/or professional work experience which provides the required education, knowledge, skills and abilities as indicated.
- Working knowledge of user interface and user experience design.
- Working knowledge of Responsive Web Design frameworks.
- Working knowledge of content management systems such as WordPress.
- Working knowledge and/or experience with relational databases such as Oracle or MySQL, and writing SQL queries.
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with supervisor, project staff, vendors & customers in a team environment to accomplish tasks & meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to develop clean, structured code and conduct thorough testing.
- Working knowledge of American with Disabilities Act compliance, web privacy and copyright requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to understand oral and written instructions and documentation, write reports and procedures, and communicate effectively in a variety of situations.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment, particularly in managing confidential information; understand and work within federal, state, and university policies and practices such as FERPA.
- Ability and aptitude for learning new software programs and applications; outstanding troubleshooting and technical support skills.
- Demonstrated ability to speak, read, comprehend, interpret and write fluently in English.
- Ability to work outside normally scheduled work hours including day, night, weekend and/or holiday hours, as directed.
- Familiarity with the DestinyOne non-credit registration system, or other higher education information management systems.
- Familiarity with the concept of badging and micro-credentialing, and/or knowledge or experience with badging/micro-credentialing software/tools.
- Considerable working knowledge of Angular and jQuery.
- Considerable working knowledge or experience with web services/API development.
- Working knowledge of RESTful Architecture.
- Considerable working knowledge of JSON file structure and JSON web tokens.
- Considerable working knowledge of content management systems like WordPress.
- Considerable working knowledge or experience with one or more Database Management Systems (DBMS) such as Oracle or MySQL.
- Considerable knowledge of Structured Query Language (SQL) and writing custom SQL for data extraction.
- Working knowledge of oAuth.
- Working knowledge and/or experience with data visualization software or tools (e.g., Fusion Charts, Tableau, D3).
Click on the “Apply” button to complete an application and attach the following required documents:
1. Cover letter indicating how you meet the minimum and desirable qualifications of the position;
3. Name and contact information (telephone number and email address) of at least three (3) professional references; and
4. Graduate and undergraduate transcript(s) showing degree and coursework to date appropriate to the position (original official transcript(s) will be required at the time of hire). Copies of transcripts must be attached to your application to receive credit for degree(s). Transcripts issued outside the United States of America require a course-by-course analysis with an equivalency statement from an agency having membership with the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services, Inc., verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. Expense of the evaluation shall be borne by the applicant.
Late, incomplete or unreadable application materials will not be considered. Academic record/grade summaries will not be accepted. Diplomas and copies will NOT be accepted. Please REDACT references to social security numbers and birth date on submitted documents. NOTE: Please create a new account if this is your first time applying for a position using NEOGOV.
Inquiries: Community Colleges Human Resources Office: firstname.lastname@example.org
EEO/AA, Clery Act, ADA
The University of Hawai’i is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination on the basis of race, sex, gender identity and expression, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, genetic information, marital status, breastfeeding, income assignment for child support, arrest and court record (except as permissible under State law), sexual orientation, domestic or sexual violence victim status, national guard absence, or status as a covered veteran. For more information or inquiries regarding these policies, please refer to the following link: http://www.hawaii.edu/offices/eeo/eeo-coordinators/.
Employment is contingent on satisfying employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986; reference checks of previous employers; and for certain positions, criminal history record checks.
In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, annual campus crime statistics for the University of Hawai’i may be viewed at: https://www.hawaii.edu/titleix/help/campus-security/, or a paper copy may be obtained upon request from the respective UH Campus Security or Administrative Services Office.
In accordance with Article 10 of the unit 08 collective bargaining agreement, bargaining unit members receive priority consideration for APT job vacancies. As a result, external or non BU 08 applicants may not be considered for some APT vacancies. BU 08 members with re-employment rights or priority status are responsible for informing the hiring unit of their status.
Accommodation Request: The University of Hawai’i complies with the provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the EEO coordinator directly. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis. For further information, please refer to the following link: https://www.hawaii.edu/offices/eeo/accommodation-request/
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.