Overview: The Social Media Producer is a full-time position that functions as a member of the Operations team and is tasked with creating content that deepens engagement with online communities to increase our organization’s reach and impact.
The Social Media Producer reports to the VP of Operations and Philanthropy.
We’re searching for a creative, strategic thinker who can use our multimedia platform tools to turn in-depth news stories into shareable, easily understood content for our growing online audience. Text, audio, video, photography, graphics, animation, gaming, virtual reality — we embrace new approaches to storytelling and love to experiment!
This person will have a finger on the pulse of what Hawaii’s communities are talking about online and provide guidance on how Civil Beat can best inform these communities and be a part of the conversation. With a reader-centric approach, this is someone who perpetuates our commitment to empowering communities with in-depth and investigative journalism that leads to actionable change.
- Elevate Civil Beat’s journalism across platforms.
- Manage all Civil Beat’s existing social accounts (Instagram, Facebook, X, YouTube, Threads and LinkedIn) and actively seek opportunities to establish a brand presence on new and emerging platforms.
- Use social media platforms to discover, listen to and engage with Hawaii’s diverse communities.
- Produce visual assets and write unique copy for multiple platforms.
- Conceive and execute social-first audio and video storytelling opportunities.
- Lead the day-to-day scheduling, management and messaging using native and third-party tools.
- Cover and assist with events and livestreams, alongside the Events Manager.
- Work with our editorial team to plan engagement strategies for upcoming projects and enhance written stories.
- Analyze metrics and use that data to develop audience engagement strategies that achieve newsroom-wide goals.
At least 3 years of experience in journalism, marketing, social media content creation, or graphic design.
- A passion for community building and a track record of forging genuine relationships online.
- Experience using software tools such as: Canva; Adobe Premier; Later; Meta Business Suite; Photoshop; Lightroom; Final Cut; and Adobe After Effects.
- Experience working with a content management system.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced news environment.
- Ability to work nights and weekends on occasion.
- Ability to travel to neighbor islands as necessary.
- Understanding of news media and nonprofit organizations preferred.
We are willing to consider great candidates who may not have every skill on our checklist.
Our newsroom is located in Hawaii on the island of Oahu.
How We Take Care of Our People:
Civil Beat pays competitive salaries, and has excellent benefit packages, including: medical; dental; and vision insurance; a fully-vested 6% 401(k) match; six weeks PTO a year; and company-funded travel and training opportunities. The final determined salary offer for this position will depend on experience and qualifications; therefore, the anticipated salary range for this role is between $65,000 – $75,000.
Honolulu Civil Beat is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity and encourages people from underrepresented communities to apply.
How to Apply:
Send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com by October 15. We will review submissions on a rolling basis, but will continue accepting new applicants until the position is filled.
About Civil Beat:
Honolulu Civil Beat is a 501(c)3 tax-exempt news organization dedicated to cultivating an informed body of citizens, all striving to make Hawaii a better place to live. We achieve this through investigative and watchdog journalism, in-depth enterprise reporting, analysis and commentary that gives readers a broad view on issues of importance to our community.
To apply for this job please visit www.civilbeat.org.